Monday, February 15, 2010

St-Aubin 1er cru Derriere Chez Edouard 2007


I picked up this St-Aubin by Domaine Sylvain Langoureau from the shop in Puligny back in September 2008 and it had been lurking on my wine rack ever since, causing me great anxiety since conditions in my flat are not ideal for long-term storage.

G and I decided it was time to put it out of its misery so we had it with some roast chicken last night. Or rather, I had it with some roast chicken, as it turned out that G had been mindlessly snacking downstairs and wasn't very hungry. Tchah.

It was a beautiful pale gold colour, with hints of green. Although very cold, the nose was citrussy. The palate was a real shock - it was a seriously classy, elegant wine, the sort of wine that makes me wonder why I don't drink more white Burgundy. It was close to a Puligny in style, only to be expected as when we got the map out we saw that St Aubin is just up the hill from Puligny. I used to get St Aubin confused with St Romain, but am now vowing to mend my ways. In fact the wine it reminded us most of was the Domaine Leflaive Bourgogne Blanc 2002 - high praise indeed. We gave it 9 out of 10 for premier cru project purposes.

Best of all: it cost 19 euros, so an absolute steal. I'll be looking out for it again next time I'm in Puligny...

No comments:

Post a Comment