Monday, February 08, 2010

Cornas 1983


Yesterday I struggled back from a weekend in Badgerville to find that G had acquired a Gressingham duck and was offering me a choice from a range of vinous delights to accompany it. What hell life is sometimes. In the end we went for this bottle of Cornas 1983 from Paul Jaboulet Aine. I think he got it at an auction but I was too delicate to ask how much it might have cost. We decanted about an hour in advance and necked some Wine Society fino while we waited (nothing to write home about). When the time came to give it a whirl, it was fabulous - quite raisiny to start with then with the power and richness you'd expect from a proper Rhone vintage. One of the precious snippets from my friendly neighbourhood wine merchant which has stuck in my mind is that there's no such thing as a bad Cornas. This certainly didn't contradict that hypothesis. It lasted all the way to the cheese course.

I took the photo on my new phone which is why it's a bit crap. However we did at least go to the trouble of putting the bottle in exactly the same place as all the other bottles I've taken photos of, and moving my scarf and the fruit bowl out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment