Monday, February 20, 2017

Chateau Latour 1969


Last Sunday, G and I decided it was time to knock this bottle of Latour on the head; it had been lying around at the bottom of the wardrobe for a long time.

We last drank this in December 2012 so it had been a while! This time I promised to make proper notes and so here they are. It was dark and glossy - so much so that when G held it up to the candle to try to show the colour, it remained entirely the opposite of translucent.


We opened it about 10 minutes before drinking, and on the nose, I found it slightly dumb, but on the palate it was smooth, and relatively light by Latour standards. It gained weight a few minutes later (I know the feeling) and accompanied our lamb tagine very well and G said it reminded him of Domaine de Trevaillon. The tannins had softened and it was approachable and less majestic than some Latours but the class was clear. "Sauntering gently downhill," said G and followed up with "Still offers pleasure but drink up," showing that he is wasted on the law and should be a professional writer of wine lists. It was possibly better 10 years ago, and I wasn't sure that I would have guessed it as a Latour if I'd been drinking it blind.

Here endeth the Latour chronicles as this was the last of the mixed case I acquired back in the day, and it's unlikely I shall be getting any more in the near future unless Euromillions finally delivers - hope springs eternal.

In other news, I can report that the 2011 reds are giving me a lot of pleasure at the moment. I've had some Bourgogne Rouge from Bouard-Bonnefoy, and some Terres Burgondes from Domaine Giboulot recently, and the vintage seems very pretty and enjoyable, rather like 2007. I see I have some Beaune Greves from Maison en Belles Lies in storage which I must get out soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment