Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Domaine Felettig, Monday 9th Sept 2013

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of this domaine. G and I have got through industrial quantities of their cremant, bourgogne rose, and particularly the vieux marc de bourgogne which is our "house marc". G visited back in May 2009 but this was my first visit. Alain le taxi took us to Chambolle-Musigny and dropped us off at the domaine where building works were in progress ahead of the harvest. Fortunately the dog was asleep. I believe this isn't always the case.


We met Christine, and then Gilbert gave us a tour of the cellar. We mainly tasted wines from 2012 which were still in barrel. Altogether we tasted 15 wines and then a couple of older vintages in bottle, what a way to start a week. Generally they seemed to be showing very well and I came away with a very positive impression of the 2012 vintage.


I won't give a blow-by-blow account, but for me, the highlights were the Bourgogne Rouge which was very stylish, the village Chambolle-Musigny which jumped out of the glass at me with its succulent fruit, the Chambolle 1er cru les Feusselottes which had an amazing richness, the Chambolle 1er cru les Charmes which I described as "beautiful, truly charming" and the Vosne-Romanee 1er cru which is a combination of three different premier cru parcels - Reignots, Petits Monts and Chaumes - and had lovely intense berry fruits. My kind of Vosne!


A mention must also be made of the Echezeaux grand cru. There was just one barrel of this. It was sensational, so much so that G didn't spit his out, disgraceful behaviour. It's probably out of my reach price-wise but it was a real privilege to be able to taste it. Thanks to Gilbert for a fabulous tasting!

Almost as much marc as at A de V Towers!

No comments:

Post a Comment