Tuesday, May 01, 2012

A random white and a cocktail


First, the random white - this was one of the mixed bag we got from the Wine Society a few weeks ago. It's Hilltop Neszmelyi Cserszegi Fuszeres 2011. I wouldn't like to try pronouncing that... Apparently Cserszegi Fuszeres is a "unique Hungarian crossing" of Irsai Oliver (which I've never heard of either) and Gewurztraminer. It was light and certainly very aromatic and did indeed remind me of a gewurztraminer but at £5.75 a bottle, it's a bargain basement alternative - fantastic! It was only 11% alcohol too. We thought it would go well with curry and would also be a good party wine, and I'll definitely be getting some more.



As for the cocktail, this was a sloe gin martini! It was made with a combination of normal gin - I had some Hendricks lying around on this occasion - and a miniature bottle of sloe gin, which I was delighted to receive from a friend on her return from a trip round the Plymouth Gin distillery. We used the miniature it to make two martinis, one each, and they certainly looked beautiful. However if I ever get the chance to do this again, I'd probably use the miniature to make four martinis, as the ratio of sloe gin to normal gin was a little too high. Tant pis!

No comments:

Post a Comment