Saturday, March 26, 2011

Champagne Pierre Jamain, 2004


At lunch a few weeks ago, ACC turned up with this vintage champagne from Pierre Jamain which went down a treat. It was relatively light and elegant and made from 100% chardonnay i.e. blanc de blancs which is a style I like. I understand from ACC that it's keenly priced. A bonus: it comes with a hideous picture of a woman in a bonnet on the metal cap thing. I would have taken a close-up photo but I was worried it would break my camera.

I really must drink more champagne - don't want to end up like John Maynard Keynes regetting his failure to do so on his deathbed. It was interesting to read Jancis's column in last week's FT where she talked about recent developments in English sparkling wines and how they compare to Champagne. I've had the odd bottle of Nyetimber and Ridgeview, and the latter in particular has impressed me, but I always feel slightly resentful that they are so expensive, so it was good to see Jancis telling it how it is: "All in all, I think the best English sparkling wines, the ones listed on the previous page, acquitted themselves well, but the lesser ones did nothing at all for our national pride, especially considering their price."

No comments:

Post a Comment