Saturday, March 26, 2011

Beaune 1er cru Clos du Roi, Domaine Martin, 2007


I first tasted this wine at the domaine a couple of years ago - can't remember if it was still in barrel or if it had recently been bottled, but either way I didn't like it and it took some persuasion to get me to try it again. It's come on a long way since then.

The Martins are based in Chorey and are an engagingly small operation - I've blogged about their bourgognes before and am also a huge fan of their Chorey and their Savigny. The Clos du Roi vineyard is at the northern end of Beaune bordering Savigny.

We decanted it for about half an hour. On the nose it had the lovely classic Beaune perfume, and on the palate I found it soft, light and well-balanced with a certain sweetness. It had a great finish and we felt it was drinking well now but would last another 5 years - I've bought a couple more to stash away for a while. We gave it a 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment