Sunday, October 31, 2010

St-Aubin 1er cru Sur Gamay 2006, Francois d'Allaines


After a couple of interesting St-Aubins a few months ago which made me think this might be a village I could get into, sadly this one was a disappointment.

We decanted it half an hour before drinking, and it looked nice enough. On the nose it was not very exciting and on the palate I have said "quite nice, pleasant but undistinguished". There was nothing wrong with it, but it just didn't do much for us and G felt that it lacked definition. We gave it a 7. At one point G suggested downgrading it to a 6 but I felt that would be unfair.

It came from the Wine Society and cost £23. Ouch. Consulting the trusty spreadsheet, I see that back in 2008 we had a 2004 St-Aubin En Remilly from the same producer, which also received a 7 and received the comment "should be £15 not £20!" I don't think I'll be rushing to buy any more wines from this domaine in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment