Saturday, September 20, 2014

A couple of reds drinking nicely now

This week, even though it's been quite warm, we've mostly been drinking red wine. I'll need to get some more bourgognes out of storage soon at this rate!


On Sunday night G returned from the rural idyll bearing this Pommard Vieilles Vignes 2007 from Domaine Latour-Labille. It was glossy and a lovely dark colour. On the palate, we found it juicy, succulent, elegant and supple - G described it as "singing". There are times when I find Pommard a bit too heavy and powerful, but Latour-Labille are based in Meursault and it shows. We've loved their red Meusaults and this exhibited similar finesse. It was drinking absolutely perfectly now.


Then on Tuesday night we had this bottle of Bourgogne Rouge from Meo-Camuzet, a recent auction find, from the fabled 2006 vintage (this is sarcasm, the Wine Soc are forever going on about what a great vintage it was, when I saw for myself that it wasn't. "I was there, where were you" etc. etc.).

Again, it had a dark colour, but this time that was a sign of its Cote de Nuits heritage, as Meo-Camuzet are based in Vosne-Romanee. I got masses of black cherry on the nose and G mentioned pear drops. The palate was congruent but for me there was some bitterness on the finish, like black coffee, while G thought there was tart cranberry fruit. It grew on me as time went on, suggesting that it might benefit from a few minutes in the decanter, and it went very nicely with our sausages.

In other news, I've followed in the footsteps of a certain ACC onto Twitter and can be found spouting further nonsense there at twitter.com/amatriceduvin - but this blog will certainly continue, not least because I can't fit all our pretentious tasting notes into 140 characters...

No comments:

Post a Comment