Sunday, May 04, 2014

Normal service will be resumed shortly



Apologies for the blogging hiatus. My father, who had been seriously ill for several months, has died, which has been rather devastating. He had been suffering from stomach cancer for several months.

Dad was a gentle, kind, cerebral man who loved cats, books, music, churches, history and nature. I'm grateful to him for many things including the encouragement he gave me in my enthusiasm for wine. He signed me up for the Wine Society when I was 18 and enjoyed coming to the occasional wine tasting in London.

It became a tradition that I'd get him a bottle of 1968 Bual for Christmas and he'd save it up as a solitary treat for the nights my mother was out singing at her choir - nobody else got a drop of it!

I'm glad that he was able to come to my 40th birthday celebration in July last year, and that he didn't tell me he was ill then, even though he already was. Instead, he told me how much he'd enjoyed it.

We would often discuss Jancis's latest column in the FT and I think he hoped I'd become the next Jancis. I don't think that's going to happen, but at least the blog is a nod in that direction.

After his memorial service on Saturday, we shall be having Chablis 1er cru Vaulorent 2010 from Nathalie Fevre and Oroncio Star Terre Syrah made by Oronce de Belair of la Maison Romane. Both supplied by the Burgundy Portfolio, bien sur. I hope they go down well.


No comments:

Post a Comment