Saturday, January 11, 2014

Happy New Year!



Just a quick one today - more to follow soon. G and I spent New Year's Eve at A de V Towers; no performing seals for us this year, but we did have some great food and drink. We kicked things off with this 2002 blancs de blancs champagne from Jean Comyn. It had really come on since the last time we tasted it, which was at an SPNS dinner back in May 2010. The general verdict on that occasion was that it needed another 5 years. We didn't quite manage to give it that, but found it much improved. It was light, attractive, and fully mature.

We discussed comparisons and agreed that it was similar to Delamotte. I can't remember exactly how much it cost but seem to recall that it was quite good value for a vintage champagne, so it wasn't really fair to compare it to Krug, Dom Perignon etc. It wasn't "Great Champagne" and wasn't particularly complex, but I enjoyed it and it got the evening off to a suitably festive good start.

In the background you can see Clive Coates's new book, My Favorite Burgundies, which kept G out of mischief all evening spotting typos. I was given this by my parents for Christmas, and it's yet another treasure trove of information. I had thought it was going to be a revised edition of the Bible aka his 2008 book on Burgundy, but this isn't the case - it doesn't attempt to cover everyone but goes into more detail on the finer vineyards, producers, and vintages. I'm sure it will be very useful as we head towards en primeur season, and also for the Premier Cru Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment