Saturday, March 10, 2012

Manzanilla La Guita


I'm a big sherry lover, and when G told me about La Guita, I had to get hold of some. It's available in half bottles from various places and in the end I got mine from Sipp which is a shop on the Brompton Road, just down the road from Harrods. I toyed with the idea of going there but in the end laziness prevailed and I ordered 12 halves online, incurring the annoying £10 delivery charge. It worked out at £6.50 a half all in.

It's made by Hijos de Rainera Perez Marin and comes in a convenient screwcap bottle with a vibrant orange seal. There's a bit of string taped under the label; I'm not entirely sure what its function is! Also, the date of bottling is stamped on the label - in this case July 2011 - which is a nice touch.

I enjoyed it a lot - it's very fresh and relatively light in style, although it gained some weight overnight, so definitely one to be drunk over no more than 2 evenings. I think I like it about the same as La Goya, and it would be interesting to compare the two - must get some La Goya in before this runs out. Corney and Barrow are now selling La Goya for £6.29 a half so they are directly comparable. These two, and the trusty but more heavyweight Pastrana Manzanilla Pasada from Hidalgo (£9.95 from the Wine Society, £11.95 from Waitrose, I think - an interesting example of good value from the WS) are currently my three favourite manzanillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment