Sunday, February 12, 2012

Williams & Humbert 12 year old Oloroso


As I'm currently without a freezer, I find I'm increasingly turning to sherry as an aperitif since it doesn't require the use of ice cubes. I spotted this half bottle from Williams & Humbert in Waitrose the other day and succumbed yesterday. From memory it was around £8 but strangely it's not on their website.

It's a pale brown colour and in the dry style of oloroso. It very much reminded me of a Sercial madeira, quite sharp and nutty, with an excellent finish, and it went very well with some mixed nuts. Last night I served it unchilled, but amazingly we managed not to drink it all so there's a little bit left for this evening which I've put in the fridge. I'll be interested to see how that affects it.

Although this is quite expensive by sherry standards, G and I both felt it was actually worth it. I shan't be buying it often but it's nice to have it as an easy-to-get-hold-of option when I haven't been organised enough to lay in stocks from my usual sources. If only there were a wine merchant which did mixed cases of half bottles of sherry...

No comments:

Post a Comment