Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pernand-Vergelesses 1er cru Sous Fretille 2007, Rapet Pere et Fils

The other night we treated ourselves to this Pernand. I cunningly didn't look up beforehand where it had come from or how much it cost, so as to minimise preconceptions. I was also not entirely clear about where P-V actually is. Checking the yellow book reveals that it's near Aloxe and Ladoix.

It had been living in the fridge for the past 2 weeks (uncharacteristic self-control on my part!) so it was very cold. I decanted it half an hour before G got home.


It was a pleasing light straw colour as you can see. I found it rather dumb on the nose, possibly due to the excessive refrigeration.

On the palate it was quite sharp and austere - a refreshing wine - more Puligny than Meursault - but there was some honey there too. It had great length. G thought it was fabulous while I thought it was merely very nice, so we had a divergence when it came to scoring - he thought it was a 9 whereas I was stingy and only gave it an 8, so that's what it will get on the giant spreadsheet.

Talking to him about it later in the week, we think it may have been the "getting home after work on a hot day to find a lovely cold glass of white wine waiting" effect that caused him to rate it so highly. Tchah! I would never let such factors influence my judgement... Anyway, winter now appears to have arrived so we won't have that problem again in the near future.

We thought this was £25 wine and when I checked afterwards, I found that it cost 29 euros so that was pretty spot on. It came from Mon Millesime in Beaune. All in all, good stuff but I shan't be rushing to have more when there are so many other premier crus out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment